- Escape the big city for the fresh mountain air of Darband
- Hike on Mount Tochal for the scenic views from one of Iran’s highest mountains
- Sample traditional Persian Dizi cuisine that attracts Tehran locals to Darband restaurants
- Visit the breathtaking Imamzadeh Saleh mirrored shrine
Darband, meaning door to the mountain in Persian, is a lesser-known neighborhood of Tehran, and is indeed your gateway to Tochal Mountain. Tochal is one of the highest of the Alborz mountain range, which provides a formidable backdrop to Tehran.
Your 4-hour tour begins with a hike along the mountain trail that runs through Darband. Stop for tea at a café and get acquainted with the local Iranian lifestyle. Darband is well known for the traditional Persian cuisine called Dizi, which you can try for lunch if you like.
As you walk back towards Tajrish Square, get your cameras ready to capture the most beautiful scenery in Tehran. Visit the historic cemetery of Zahirolddoleh that is the final resting place for many celebrated Iranian poets, writers, and musicians. From there, you’ll continue on to visit the beautiful Imamzadeh Saleh Shrine and marvel at the thousands of tiny mirrors glittering in the light.
Due to its cool weather and mountainous location, many of the pre-revolutionary palaces are located in this area. At an earlier time this area was home to the palaces of Qajari kings.
Since most of the historic monuments are located in the older, central part of Tehran, walking through this relatively modern area will give you a different perspective of the city.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Transportation from the subway station to Darband
- Items of a personal nature
- Dizi (available for about USD 10.00)
- Other food and drinks
- Tips/gratuities for drivers or guides